Did you know that most people gain anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds during the holiday season?!?! YIKES! That’s a scary number!!
Holidays can be tough when you are trying to manage your weight. Food seems to be everywhere during this time of year – work, home, school. And we’re not talking food like raw vegetables sticks. We’re talking good ole comfort food like stuffing, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, and mama’s mashed potatoes.
Don’t fret or be scared, here are some healthy tips to help you avoid holiday horror.
- Be realistic: Now is not the time to go on a restrictive diet. Look to Maintain Not Gain!
- Don’t skip meals. This backfires, because when you finally do eat, you are starving. It’s hard to portion control your food when you are famished.
- When you arrive at a party….CHILL!! Don’t rush to the buffet table. Greet people you know – after all conversation is calorie-free.
- Be Picky! Don’t waste calories on foods you don’t really like or foods you can have anytime.
- Fill up on lower calorie, nutrient dense foods such as fruits and veggies, but easy on the dip!
- Make just one trip to the food table. Do you want to be the fatty that keeps going up to the buffet…ummm NO!!!
- Use a plate for even the smallest snack—you’ll eat less.
- MOVE AWAY FROM THE FOOD!!! Eat only when you are hungry and not because food is there and near.
- Avoid grazing while you cook. Little nibbles can really add up! When it’s time to eat, sit down and savor it! While cooking, chew on some gum or pop a mint into your mouth.
- Beware of Beverages – eggnog, beer, soda, wine. They go down so easy and the calories add up fast.
- If you are bringing a dish to share, make it healthy and delicious! That way, you will have at least one item you can rely on not to burst your belt buckle.
- Stay physically active! Move more the weeks before, during and after the holidays.
Happy Holidays Honey Dews!